I love burgers – always have, always will! But sometimes they can get a little…err…boring. That’s when I try to jazz them up with all kinds of mix-in’s to take my burgers back from drab…to fab! And these corn and zucchini turkey burgers with homemade guacamole were some of the most fabulous I’ve ever made!
First, let me ask you a question. Do you like ground turkey? I’ve noticed recently that whenever I mention ground turkey people usually have one of two reactions: they either love it or HATE it! (And when I say hate, I mean like despise it with a passion….) And for the longest time I couldn’t understand why. That was until I had my first over cooked, incredibly under seasoned, hard as a rock, hockey puck of a turkey burger and when it hit me, THIS IS WHY NO ONE LIKES YOU!!
So ever since then you can bet I’ve made it a point to master the ways of a perfectly cooked and moist turkey burger.
What makes these turkey burgers so good?
- They’re loaded with veggies! Ok mainly just zucchini and corn. But did you know that zucchini is actually made up of 96% water? So all that moisture that’s being “cooked” out of the burger, is just getting put right back in while the zucchini cooks down. (Side note: We don’t want a ton of moisture though so it’s helpful to squeeze as much excess water out of the zucchini as you can. I used a nut milk bag from Ellie’s Best to do this. You can also use paper towels to wring them out.)
- It’s sweet from the corn! (Not too sweet, but just sweet enough.) As a self-proclaimed Queen of Sweet and Salty, this patty has it all in terms of flavor!
- It’s light and airy, yet hearty too! Because all the vegetables add moisture to the patty, it won’t be as dense as some beef patties tend to be. Likewise, the vegetables also make the burger much more sustainable too!
And of course the most popular way to cook these patties is on a grill. But you can also use the “lazy girl” method I’ve developed over the years and just cook them on the stove top too. It’s much easier, there’s less mess and to be completely honest…that outside grill intimidates the hell out of me!
NOW ON TO THE TOPPINGS! I highly suggest serving these with guacamole! Store bought, homemade, any avocados you have on hand squirted with a little lemon – use whatever you have! But the flavor combo between corn, zucchini and avocado is straight up amazing and should definitely not go untried! (I’ve included a recipe for a make-shift guacamole in the main recipe below.) But other than that, I love topping these burgers like I would any other patty: with just some lettuce, tomatoes & red onion!
Bring on all the summer bqq’s babes! I hope you all enjoy!
Corn & Zucchini Turkey Burgers
These delicious turkey burgers are loaded with all the summer veggies! Serve them with some guacamole and you’ve got a match made in heaven!
For the burgers:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup corn, (fresh or frozen)*
- 1/2 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 tsp jalapeno, minced**
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (See below for substitute)***
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Cracked garlic salt & pepper for the top
For the guacamole:
- 1-1 1/2 avocados
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
To make the burgers:
- If using fresh corn, cut the corn off the cob and measure out 1/2 cup.
- Mix together the ground turkey, corn, zucchini, jalapeno, onion, garlic salt and pepper in a bowl. Form the mixture into 4 patties and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side or until done.
To make the guacamole:
- Mash the avocado. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro, garlic salt & pepper.
- Serve with the burgers and devour!